Saturday, December 16, 2006

Questioning the safety of online transactions....

I was looking for reseller web hosting account and read a GLOWING review on a third party web site about Myriad Network's reseller web hosting account service. I went and visited the Myriad Network website. Myriad Network has their own forum. Again, nothing but rave reviews for Myriad Networks reseller web hosting account

So, I place my order with
Myriad Network for a reseller hosting account. I ask for a user name that can't be created in Cpanel and Jeff has my back. He writes to tell me that he fixed my error and has set up my reseller hosting account.

I go to check my
Myriad Networks reseller web hosting account. I'm getting a 403 error when I enter the domain name I used to set up my Myriad Networks reseller web hosting account. UGH! Maybe they don't allow the main account to be a hosted account, I think to myself.

I set my nameservers and set up a test account. When that domain name starts resolving, I'm seeing a page with a message about how Cpanel isn't correctly configured.

So I send an email to Jeff at Myriad Network. Jeff replies with "contact support@myriadnetwork.com

I try the address he gives in the email, and it bounces. So, I try sending to him again, telling him the support address he gave me is bouncing. In this email, I tell him thanks, but no thanks. Got off to a bad start, please close my account and refund my payment.

His response:

"Please fill out the cancellation form in the link I provided above and I
will gladly terminate your account immediately. Any futher emails sent
by you to my personal email account will be deleted."

So I went to the page and cancelled my account. There's a box to explain, so I did.

Jeff decides that he is right and I am wrong. Even though I can't email him, I start getting emails from him in my email box:

This was recieved AFTER I filled out the cancellation.

> Wow.
>
> I ordered a reseller account. It\'s not the first time I\'ve done such a thing, but it\'s the first time someone emailed me and told me to never email again.

Correction: you were told to stop emailing me AFTER you cancelled your account. If you still feel the need to email me direct, which you were not only not instructed to do, but asked /not/ to do, your emails will be deleted, simple.

>
> My account isn\'t working. I get a 403 error on the main account. The resold accounts get a Cpanel set up error. Now the \"wonderful support\" I\'ve read about in the forums has informed me emails to his personal account will be deleted.

Yes, you were informed of this AFTER you stated you were cancelling. Let's not obsure the truth here to make yourself look good and us look bad.

>
> OUCH!
>
> I\'m just trying to imagine telling one of my clients, \"My email address is not a replacement for support. Multiple methods of for contacting support are mentioned in your Welcome email.\"

Last time I'll say this: you were asked to stop emailing me direct AFTER you said you were cancelling"

So Jeff is right and I am wrong. Goodie for Jeff.

Then, five minutes later I get another email from Jeff, again telling me how wrong I am and how right he is.

AND ANOTHER ONE!

Now I'm getting nervous. Unfortunately, I used my CC to pay for this, so as a result this toad has my CC information and all kinds of personal information. I'm starting to get nervous. "I think I'm going to have to cancel my credit card that I used to order hosting" nervous.

Yeah, I'd better report my CC stolen. Unfortunately, the toad also has my home adddress instead of my business post office.

I've done a LOT of online transactions in the past few weeks... Christmas is coming you know and I hate fighting the traffic at the mall. It's scary how you just assume the person on the other end is trustworthy and how horrifying it is to find out they aren't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home