Monday, December 18, 2006

WebHosting Reminders...

After my HORRIBLE experience with Myriad Networks, I have renewed love for my current hosting provider, Host Gator.

If you wonder why I was host shopping while I had a great one on tap, here's why.

I still would like to have a back up hosting company to go to if Host Gator ever gets bought by the evil INTERLAND. Even though it's been YEARS, I'll never forget the horrible experience of Interland's aquisition of Communitech.

Communitech was founded by two guys in the middle of Kansas. Their support was EXCEPTIONAL (these were the days before $1-2 per month hosting accounts), their service was outstanding.

Then, Interland came to call. Servers were down for DAYS, customer service was non-existent and the forums were filled with angry posts by betrayed customers. If you were lucky enough to get through on the phones to Interland, you would find yourself talking to someone who hated Interland MORE than their customers did!

By the end of my Interland hosting experience, I was threatening to pay my $25 per month hosting bill in PENNIES! Yes, I know that shipping for 2500 pennies is MORE than $25, but that's how furious, not to mention frustrated, I was at the time.

Oh, did I mention that I was hosting about 50 accounts at the time? I lost 30 of them thanks to Interland.

That's why I maintain not one, not two but THREE reseller web hosting accounts. Two are "old faithfuls," web hosts that are performing well at the moment. One is the "scout" account. If the scout account beats out the old faithfuls, then it will replace an old faithful when an old faithful either outgrows it's capacities or is bought by Interland. It means hosting isn't a profit center for me, but that's ok. It's a SERVICE I provide for my web development CLIENTS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home